to sing in the silence: the ride

the ride

A long time ago, there was a television show called "My So Called Life." Being a young teen when this show emerged, I totally fell in love with it. And Jordan Catalano? Come on. I mean, here was this mysterious guy with long hair, piercing blue eyes, and who played guitar - what young teenage girl wouldn't fall in love?

It was that show that made me a fan of Jared Leto... Quite a few years later, he created a band called 30 Seconds To Mars. I picked up the album merely out of curiosity. I liked a couple of the tunes, but for the most part, it wasn't totally my style. However, when their second album came out - A Beautiful Lie - I became more intrigued. Not so much with their music (though, their second album was much better than their first), but moreso with their music videos. The first video mirrored a movie I love - The Shining. The video was done really well - very moviesque. The second video - From Yesterday - had some AMAZING shots as well. Brilliant.

But for some reason, this video - for the song "Kings and Queens" off their third album - just makes my heart happy. I don't totally know why. Especially since it contains a few folks with creepy face make-up. But there is something about this video that I find utterly fantastic. I love that there's this massive group, a rag-tag posse of people, riding their bikes around really late at night through the city. I love that they all seem to be connected to one another even though they all look really different - and I love that they're all different! It kind of feels like you have the inside look into some sort of secret club or something. I'm not entirely sure... Maybe the reason I like this video is because secretly (or not so secretly now) I have a ridiculous fascination with bike messengers. It's true. I do.

All I know is that I really really enjoy this video... and so I thought I'd share it with you. Enjoy!

0 comments: