to sing in the silence: swell

swell



I had every intention of sitting down to blog tonight, but I opened iTunes, and started listening to "Feel the Pull" by the Swell Season, and was instantly distracted.

Can I tell you how much I love Glen Hasard and Marketa Irglova of The Swell Season? I recently came across this song, and absolutely fell in love with it. I decided to see what videos there were on YouTube, and found the one posted above.

Here are things I love about this video:

1. I love that he's still playing on the ratty guitar he played in the movie "Once." So great. I love that it's all beat up - it's such a "loved" guitar.

2. Glen's beard. I heart beards. Enough said.

3. His explanation of the song... I love the moon, and know what kind of summer nights he's referring to. Those are my favorite kinds of nights, illuminated by the moon, where you feel the itch to go out for a drive, windows rolled down, and hands gliding through the wind outside...

4. I love the way Glen looks at Marketa... He looks at her so lovingly and so tenderly. I can only pray that some day I get to experience one of those "looks."

Ok, enjoy "Feel the Pull" by The Swell Season. It's lovely.

1 comments:

Unknown November 25, 2009 at 10:34 PM  

Yeah, "Strict Joy" is such an awesome album. Even though it may be a departure from the last one, you can definately see hint/influences of people he admires (Van Morrison, maybe Cat Stevens).

Apparently, the reason why Glen looks at Marketa that way is because at one point in time they dated, but evewn though they are no longer a couple, they have an understanding that transcends romance.

I highly suggest downloading from iTunes the deluxe version of Strict Joy because not only do you get the new album but a concert as well. He covers "Gigantic" by the Pixies which he did the first time Swell Season was in Milwaukee. I absolutely love the Pixies

my blog

"The pages are still blank, but there is a miraculous feeling of the words being there, written in invisible ink and clamoring to become visible." ~Vladimir Nabakov

about

My photo
"The pages are still blank, but there is a miraculous feeling of the words being there, written in invisible ink and clamoring to become visible." ~Vladimir Nabakov