to sing in the silence: mixtape

mixtape

I don't know about you, but I absolutely love mixtapes. Always have. Probably always will. There's something so great about the tunes someone chooses to lump together. I think you can learn a lot about a person by the songs they choose to put on a mixtape. The sad thing is, I've not really received that many in my lifetime. I'll have to look into changing that status.

I have a friend who has a somewhat long drive this weekend, so I made my friend a few mix CDs for entertainment during the drive.

One of my co-workers and I were talking about the delicate craft of creating a mixtape. We swapped quite a few quotes from the movie High Fidelity, including this one:

"Now, the making of a good compilation tape is a very subtle art. Many do's and don'ts. First of all you're using someone else's poetry to express how you feel. This is a delicate thing."

I'm not sure I followed the "do's and don'ts." I didn't have much time to create the mix CDs for my friend, so it wasn't done with as much creative energy and thought as I would have liked... But they're just filled with some of my favorite tunes that I know would help make a long car ride more bearable. Some of the songs I'd consider "good songs." Some are just guilty pleasures.

Anyway, here was one of the mixes I created that I myself am actually enjoying listening to:

Merry Happy Mix

"Cross My Heart" - The Rocket Summer
"A-Punk" - Vampire Weekend
"Old Enough" - The Raconteurs
"Hallelujah" - Paramore
"Lazy Eye" - Silversun Pickups
"Merry Happy" - Kate Nash
"Let the Drummer Kick" - Citizen Cope
"Everything is Alright" - Motion City Soundtrack
"Vampire" - Antsy Pants
"I Predict a Riot" - Kaiser Chiefs
"I'll Believe in Anything" - Wolf Parade
"Paper Planes" - M.I.A.
"Pretty Green" - Mark Ronson featuring Santo Gold
"Le Disko" - Shiny Toy Guns
"C'mon C'mon" - The Von Bondies
"Great DJ" - The Ting Tings
"Hide Away" - Rock Kills Kid
"Woke Up in a Car" - Something Corporate

1 comments:

Unknown October 25, 2008 at 5:08 PM  

A couple of bands you should get into are MGMT (Time To Pretend, Kids and Weekend Wars are a few of my favorite tunes) and The Octopus Project (if you like Explosions In The Sky with more drums than you can shake your fist at, you'll like them as well)

my blog

"The pages are still blank, but there is a miraculous feeling of the words being there, written in invisible ink and clamoring to become visible." ~Vladimir Nabakov

about

My photo
"The pages are still blank, but there is a miraculous feeling of the words being there, written in invisible ink and clamoring to become visible." ~Vladimir Nabakov