to sing in the silence: the day my tigers left me

the day my tigers left me

I have a friend who likes photography, and needed a slight nudge in the area of creative ventures. Therefore, I issued her a Photo Challenge. A couple years back, a friend of mine introduced me to a thing called “A Story in 5 Frames” where an individual posts 5 photos that together, tell a story. I deemed this the perfect project for my friend, and sent her the following email:

Here’s your project, should you choose to accept it…

PHOTO PROJECT – A Story in 5 Frames

Today, you are asked to celebrate stories and the art of storytelling…

Your challenge: Take a handful of photos, and select 5 photos; create a story that connects these 5 photos

Your result: A story as told in 5 frames!

You may take as many photos as you like, but in the end, you can only choose 5. The story can be about whatever you’d like, but a story must accompany the 5 photos. Think like a kid. Be silly. Take photos of things that seem boring and uninteresting… and make them come alive!

Ideas to help jump start your creativity:

- Take a picture of a bug walking on the ground, and where he might be headed
- Take a picture of a leaf on the ground, and the home from which it fell
- Take a picture of an old barn, and an old cow… you fill in the rest
- Take a picture of a banged up car fender, and a random person who POSSIBLY drove the car…
- Take a picture of a wrinkled shirt, and the angry iron who’s on strike
- Take a picture of your shoes, and the places where they might want to walk today

My friend took the challenge, and produced some beautifully composed pictures of trees and leaves, and a story that explained the significance of the location where she took the photos… I was so proud of her for taking the challenge, and for doing something “on command.” In response, I offered that I too would also “take the challenge.”

And so, I did just that on my lunch hour today. A few photos ended up blurry in my hurry to take the photos, but you get the idea.

I decided to use one of the ideas I offered up to my friend: Take a picture of my shoes.

About a week ago, I got a new pair of Asics Onitsuka Tigers. Bright red. Brilliant, and beautiful. I’ve always wanted red shoes, and now I have them. I decided my shoes must be a part of my Story in 5 Frames.

And I so, I present to you…

The Day My Tigers Left Me
By Tory J. Dolan

NOTE: Playing “Eye of the Tiger” enhances this story. Just sayin’.

On a crisp and brilliant fall afternoon, my Onitsuka Tigers in all their red fiery passion, grew tired of the muted sand colored cubical in which they dwelt, and decided to venture into the city. Being foreigners in the US, these Japanese-born shoes realized there was an entirely new world yet to be discovered. However, looking out over the city, the Tigers longed for their home in Japan, and decided to search for “a little piece of home” among the Milwaukee natives…

And so, my Tigers left me.



They left the safety of their Michigan and Plankinton home, and ventured into the big bad Third Ward. Taking the scenic route along the River Walk, the Tigers realized it was nearing the lunch hour. Across the street stood the Public Market, beckoning the Tigers to explore the fine cuisine within its belly… To the Tigers' great delight, there was a sushi stand at the end of the Public Market maze. A little piece of home…



Continuing on their journey to find more of home in Milwaukee, the Tigers found themselves outside of a shoe store titled, Shoo. How unimaginative, they thought. But in that same moment, excitement filled their soles. More shoes, they thought? Perhaps we will find other Japanese homies within the shoe store? However, in the window towered a posse of socks… The presence of the sock gang in the window quickly became intimidating to them, and they realized that despite carrying the name “Tigers” and being the ferocious color of red, they were scared… Scared and slightly embarrassed, they backed down and continued on their way, leaving their potential mates behind.



Buddah? Is that a Buddha ahead, they wondered? Indeed! ARTASIA! The Tigers found their way to a brilliant store filled with treasures from the far East. Surely a store name with “Asia” in it MUST contain things that would feel like home. However, as they approached the Buddha, it appeared as if he expected something… With his hand in the air, the Tigers wondered what he wanted… Should they wave in return? Or maybe he was telling them to stop before entering. .. Saddened and confused by Buddha’s unexplained directives, the Tigers still were not feeling quite at home…



And then… Out of the darkness… Hope emerged.

HOT POP!

There, just down the street from ArtAsia, was the most brilliant of all stores – Hot Pop – a store filled with fantastic design and Japanese pop art plastered from floor to ceiling. In the window was a lovely pair of lime green roller skates – LIME GREEN ROLLER SKATES! All of the magical colors, clothes and artwork… so many wonderful things to behold!



It was then and there, at the ever-so-lovely Hot Pop that the Tigers knew… they’d found their piece of home.


This story is oh-so-silly, I know… But loads of fun! I can’t tell you how much fun I had dragging one of my co-workers with me while we took photos of my crazy red shoes around the Third Ward. Sometimes, we need to take moments to deeply enjoy life: to slow down, to be silly, to seek child-like activities, and to find ways of embracing the stories around us.

May I learn to slow down regularly, laugh often, and tell more stories!

1 comments:

Kate October 14, 2009 at 12:34 PM  

hooray! i had such fun chasing your tigers around the ward. we have to do this again soon!