to sing in the silence: battle

battle

It’s nearly 4:00am. I haven’t been able to fall asleep yet… Thought I’d take the opportunity to write a little, in hopes of maybe boring myself to sleep. I have a lot of thoughts running through my head right now, and thought I’d work through some of them on paper.

Everyone has parts of their personality they wish they could change. For the most part, I’ve been fairly content with my personality. Sure there are things I wish I did differently or ways in which I was wired differently. There are times when I get really frustrated with the fact that I’m not as good of a Jesus follower as I should be, or that I am very much introverted, or the fact that I get socially anxious… But for the most part, I’ve come to accept who I am.

But there is one thing that I’ve always battled with… And that’s my emotions. I’ve often heard that it is because I supposedly have the gift of mercy – which apparently is both a blessing and a curse. From what people tell me, people with the gift of mercy have an unbelievable sensitivity to those around them – especially those that are in need of love or are hurting. I don’t know that I have the gift of mercy… There are times that I feel like I’m terrible at being sensitive to those around me. Yet, I do recognize the fact that my heart breaks easily for those who are hurting. Yet, the unfortunate part is that those with the gift of mercy have an unbelievable sensitivity - period. Their hearts break easily - period. In all areas of life. This is the battle I struggle with constantly.

As a kid, I rarely showed emotion. My parents would often tell me stories about my demeanor as a child, and they told me that they often didn’t know what was going on in my head or my heart because I was VERY reserved with my emotions. I’m not sure why that was – maybe it’s because I had a brother who was my polar opposite – who was pretty vocal and communicative – that I didn’t want to compete. But whatever the case was, I rarely showed my emotions as a kid. Even at a young age, I struggled to verbalize what was going on in my life. My parents would often times know something was wrong, but have no idea what was going on with me. Two weeks later, a letter would show up on their bed or would be slid under their door. It would be a letter explaining why I had been upset and that I was better.

I remember getting to junior high and high school, and falling in love with journaling. That became my outlet, and I started expressing myself much more through writing – mostly journaling, but sometimes poetry as well. I still rarely verbalized how I was feeling, but at least I became more expressive.

In college, I tried to use art as a method of expression. It never quite did the trick for me as an outlet – nowhere near what writing provided for me. It wasn’t until I started working at Ridgewood, and I met my friend Brandon, that I started to learn how to become more vocal about what I was feeling and thinking. It was a painful and ugly experience, but my friendship with Brandon really helped break through some of those barriers I had in expressing (verbally) some of my emotions.

But I often like to say that breaking through those barriers also opened up the floodgates.

I would spend the next few years really struggling to work through all of the emotions I was experiencing. Ridgewood, Sonlife, the Mission, Veritas and various relationships all contributed to a whole new array of emotions for me. I had never struggled with anger before and was dealing with a brand new level of anger while at Ridgewood and the Mission. I had never experienced loss in such profound ways before those years. And I had never been as attached to or loved something as deeply as I had during those years. Those years were wonderful in that they allowed me to become passionate and to love deeply… but with that came an overwhelming mix of emotions – continuing my battle with how to deal with my emotions.

I found that I had a lot of sensitivities to things – some which were really good. There’s a huge part of me that is really thankful for the emotional side of my personality – it has allowed me to be a good listener in a lot of ways, and reach out to a lot of people I may not have reached out to without being wired the way I am. Unfortunately, these strong emotions – my strong propensity to “feel” – can also cause problems in a lot of ways. My heart gets attached INCREDIBLY easily. My passion makes me a fighter AND my easily frustrated and hurt heart makes me a retreater… It is one of my deepest desires to read and understand the emotions of others – but being more emotional than logical in that sense sometimes causes my gauge to be off, and I read things completely wrong.

Over the years, I’ve grown a lot in these areas… I’ve learned a lot about my emotions and how to handle them. But I’m far from being perfect. I still have quite a ways to go.

The hardest thing about my emotions is that it often separates me from others… It is rare for me to find someone who “feels” the same way, or as strongly, as I do. I have a good knack for becoming friends with the logical folks. Another hard thing to contend with is that those of us with really strong emotions are usually the ones who are considered “burdens” to others… Some of us are oblivious to the fact that we’re burdens. Others of us KNOW we’re burdens, and that makes it even more difficult. We worry. We analyze. We try to fix. We think too much. We draw things out. We worry some more. We sometimes get too self-focused. We aren’t always logical. We get attached. We can’t let go.

It’s a very lonely place to be – especially when you recognize it in yourself, and you know the affects it has on others. It’s lonely because no matter how much you try to explain it, people don’t get it. And it’s lonely because even YOU want to get away from yourself. It’s lonely because on the one hand, you don’t want to be a burden, and on the other hand, your deepest desire is to connect with someone and to be understood. And when you think you’ve found someone that understands, you tend to hold onto them for dear life.

I wish I knew how to tame it… I wish I knew how to tap into the good parts of it – being sensitive and empathetic to those around me – and how to turn off all the junk that comes with it. Unfortunately, that’s just not something I’ve mastered yet. It’s something I’m embarrassed about and wish it wasn’t on display for the whole world to watch as I fumble my way through it.

But it is what it is. I will have to learn how to deal with it, and how to deal with others frustrations with it. I will have to learn how to be ok with being this person who has a tremendous amount of emotions, and feels strongly about a number of things. I will have to learn what it means to be a person of great passion, especially when that passion can end up misdirected. I will have to find ways to better communicate how I’m feeling, and learn when to be reserved. I pray that I can learn to use the gifts God has given me through this, but allow him to work out my weaknesses.

And I pray that I have the grace to deal with myself in the process… because right now, I have none.

2 comments:

Unknown May 21, 2010 at 8:15 AM  

This is amazing. I relate so much to a lot of this, Tory. Thank you for articulating some things I have had rattling around in my head, too! You. Rock.

Tory Jane May 21, 2010 at 9:22 AM  

Thanks girl... Sometimes I wish you lived closer, cause I think we might be great friends. I miss you lots, and appreciate that you still read my blog and still leave me comments. Love ya!